BSU Technology Integration Specialists and a few teachers joined an informational webinar put together by Vermont Computer Science Alliance (VCSA) and Code.org on December 18th. The Vermont Computer Science Alliance is collaboration between the AOE, University of Vermont, Vermont Virtual Learning Cooperative, and others to bring computer science education to all K-12 students. The session explored ways to expand computer science in Vermont schools by developing a sequence of courses that will lead teachers towards an endorsement in Computer Science. If you are interested in this endeavor, please connect with us so that we can include you in the district membership.
We rescheduled a cabling upgrade on the fiber backbone at BTMES and SHS/CVCC, initially slated for Christmas break. The change was due to the delayed delivery of the fiber cables needed for the project. Since we will experience network outage during this work, we have now scheduled it for February break. The upgrade is in keeping with our goal of increasing the overall network speed at all our locations. We have already completed the BCEMS location.
Infinite Campus Portal: We are encouraging parents and students to try out the recently updated Parent/Student Portal. It has a more streamlined layout and very easy to use. You can also download the mobile app for your phones and tablets.
Technology Bits and Bytes:
• Applied Digital Skills: Teach and learn practical digital skills using Google’s free project-based video curriculum (Resource link)
• Find tips on how to create closed caption in Google Slides. (Resource link)
• Share files more easily with non-Google accounts in Drive. (Resource link)
• Help protect student privacy by using this database that evaluates apps on whether they are safe for use in the classroom. (Resource link)
• Get the most out of G Suite with training guides, tips, and other resources at G Suite learning center. (Resource link)